Vehicle Licencing (rego)

Most vehicles in New Zealand must be registered and display a valid vehicle licence (also known as rego). This is an ongoing requirement that allows a vehicle to be on the road.

Click here to find out when a vehicle may not need a rego (either permanently or temporarily).

The process for renewing your licence

What will you need?


  • A current WoF or CoF
  • Your vehicle's registration plate number
  • Payment for the period you would like to renew for (this can any time between 1 to 12 months)

What will it cost?


On the 1st July, 2015, the ACC levy portion of your rego decreased from between $40 to $170 (depending on the type of vehicle).

NZTA will send you a renewal notice (MR1) in the mail two to four weeks before your licensing fee is due. This includes information about the costs and your options.

You can also find out what the new cost of your rego is at, by entering your registration plate number 


How can we help you renew your rego?


Visit any one of our 80+ stations nationwide

  • We can give your rego label to you right away,
  • Our staff can help you save time by lining up your WoF and rego renewal dates so you can get them all sorted at once.
  • Find your nearest station.



Any further questions?

Visit the NZ Transport Agency's vehicle licensing webpage.