Whether you're buying or selling a used car, van or light commercial vehicle, don’t take any chances. Here’s the fast, easy way to either get that sale or to ensure it is worth buying.
Be confident about the car you're buying or selling
Get all the facts to help you make your decision. With a VTNZ Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI), our experts will examine the vehicle and you'll get an inspection report telling you about its condition and any issues you should be aware of. Then, if you're keen to buy it, you can use the report to help you bargain. An inspection is also helpful if you're selling, because people know they can trust a VTNZ report.
You have the option of a Full PPI, which is a comprehensive inspection including an inspection of the car's interior and exterior condition, or a Mechanical PPI which focuses on the car's mechanical and structural issues.
"Looking for a car is harder than we thought. We wanted the right one for our daughter to learn in. Have used AA in the past but VTNZ was recommended as the same car service but better customer service, availability and cheaper. This has proved so." Ngaire from Tauranga
You can also buy a Vehicle Information ReportTM (VIR), giving you accurate information on its history and a Red Book vehicle valuation certificate.
Full Pre-Purchase Inspection - only $140
This is the ideal choice if you can't see the car before you buy it, or if you want the assurance of a full check by our experts.
- We inspect under the bonnet, the boot, the underbody, all lights and brake performance, as well as doing a drive test. We also include a complete interior and exterior inspection.
- You'll receive a comprehensive report by email including photos of the vehicle.
See below for a sample of a car's Full Pre-Purchase Inspection Report.
Mechanical Pre-Purchase Inspection - at $110, this is a bargain!
This is great if you're able to assess the state of the car's interior and exterior yourself and want a report focusing on whether it is mechanically and structurally sound.
- The inspection covers under the bonnet, the underbody, brake performance, as well as a drive test.
- Our inspectors will also do an inspection on the exterior for corrosion or damage that impacts its safety & they'll highlight this on the report.
- You'll receive a comprehensive mechanical report by email (but no photos with this one).
See below for a sample of the Mechanical Pre-Purchase Inspection Report.
With loads of station locations, it's really easy to arrange for the car's inspection:
1. Book online now or via the phone for a PPI inspection at the VTNZ station that's most convenient
2. Drop your car off at the drop off time
3. Pick up the car when it's ready (if it's ready early, we'll text or phone you to let you know)
4. We'll email you the report or give you a copy when you're picking up the vehicle
- We inspect all makes and models of cars, vans and light commercial vehicles.
- You'll be emailed a clear, easy to understand VTNZ inspection report, which we're happy to talk through by phone or in-person.
- You can be sure that both the inspection and report are 100% independent.
Have a heavy vehicle (motorhome, bus, truck or heavy trailer) you'd like checked?
A VTNZ Pre-Purchase Inspections is designed for light vehicles only (such as cars and 4WDs), not for heavy vehicles (ie, it's not for vehicles over 3500kg). However, instead of a Pre-Purchase Inspection, our experts can carry out a Premium Vehicle Condition Assessment (VCA) on the vehicle for you for a similar price. More information about this type of inspection is here.
The inspection report can be scanned and emailed to you though it’s not the same as the sample Pre-Purchase Inspection reports on this page.
We can't do online VCA bookings (yet!) so, if you’d like this alternative inspection done, please contact your most convenient station directly.