Driver Licensing & Driver Testing

A select group of VTNZ testing stations can issue or renew Driver Licences. Please check on this website BEFORE you head in for your car licence, motorcycle licence, heavy vehicle licence, or any driver licence endorsements. From 1 May 2015 VTNZ will also take over all practical driver testing.

Intro Image

Book a theory test

To book a theory test please visit one of the VTNZ stations that offer Driving Licensing. You can also book it directly with the NZTA on their website or call them on 0800 822 422. Unfortunately VTNZ stations can't do a phone booking as they need to see proof of your identity and address. Payment is also required when you book. You may be able to get a booking on the same day you visit your local VTNZ station or call NZTA.

Please check the VTNZ station you are going to DOES carry out Driver Licensing as unfortunately many VTNZ stations cannot. We know we're labouring the point, but with so few of our stations able to do Driver Licensing, we often have to re-direct customers to another station which is very frustrating for our customers.

What are the prices for the various licences?

The prices for all licences are set by the New Zealand Government, via the NZ Transport Agency. For all information on prices, please go to this NZTA link.

When you come in, please remember to bring:


Take one of the following forms of personal identification:

  • A New Zealand photographic driver licence that is current or has expired within the last two years; or
  • a current New Zealand passport.

If you have either of the above you don't need any of the below documents. But if you don't have either of the above documents, you'll need to provide two acceptable forms of evidence of identity. One from the list of primary documents and one from the list of supporting documents below.  

Primary Document - one of these

  • A New Zealand passport expired up to two years
  • Overseas passport that is current or has expired within the last two years
  • A full birth certificate issued in NZ, issued on or after 1 January 1998, carrying a unique ID number
  • A New Zealand photo firearms licence that is current or has expired within the last two years
  • New Zealand emergency travel document
  • One of the following certificates issued under the Citizenship Act 1977:
    • Certificate of NZ Citizenship
    • A certificate of identity issued under the Passports Act 1992 that is current.
    • A refugee travel document issued by or on behalf of the NZ Government that is current.
    • A certificate of identity issued under the Immigration Act 1987 that is current.

Supporting Document - one of these and they must be current

  • New Zealand 18+ card
  • New Zealand Community Services card
  • New Zealand SuperGold or Veteran SuperGold card
  • New Zealand student photo ID card
  • New Zealand employee photo ID card
  • New Zealand utility bill e.g. power, phone or rates. Or a bank statement issued within the last six months. Your bill or statement is acceptable in an electronic format or as a print out.
  • New Zealand electoral roll record
  • Overseas drivers licence
  • New Zealand Steps to freedom form (issued by the Department of Corrections)  

If neither of the primary or supporting documents is photographic, you must also provide a referee-verified image. It must be a good likeness of you and of an equal standard to one required for a passport application.

An acceptable identity referee is someone who:

  • holds a valid and curent New Zealand passport or driver licence; and
  • is 16 years or older, and
  • has known you for one year or more, and
  • is not related to you or part of your extended family, and
  • is not a spouse or partner, and
  • doesn't live at the same address as you. 

The identity referee needs to complete a declaration form and provide their New Zealand driver licence or passport number, full name, date of birth, contact details, and the full name and date of birth of the applicant. They also need to sign and date the back of the photo.

Complete and print this NZTA Identity Referee Declaration form. Present the form and photo with your other documents and the referee's New Zealand passport and driver licence.

Confirmation of name change (if applicable)

If the name you want on your driver licence is different from the name on your identification documents, you'll need to take one of the following (these must be originals):

  • Your marriage certificate or civil union certificate
  • A Dissolution of marriage or civil union order that says that the dissolution is 'decree absolute' (i.e. final)
  • New Zealand certificate of annulment
  • An original document from Births, Deaths and Marriages confirming that your name has been legally changed
  • A deed poll of change of name
    • New Zealand statutory declaration confirming change of name, which has been registered with the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages
  • Other suitable identification (e.g. adoption papers).
Eyesight certificate or corrective eyewear

If you don't wish to have your eyesight checked at the station, you can take a certificate from a registered optometrist or registered medical practitioner stating that your eyesight is satisfactory or that you may drive safely when using glasses or contact lenses. The certificate must be no more than 60 days old.

If you're going to be tested by us, remember to take your glasses or contact lenses, if you need to wear them for driving.

If you do not pass the eyesight check, you will need to have your eyesight checked by an optometrist or a doctor who is qualified to perform a wider range of tests, to confirm that your eyesight meets the required standard for driving.

Medical certificate (if relevant)

You must produce a medical certificate, completed by your medical practitioner, if:

  • you're turning 75, 80 or an even-numbered age older than 80
  • you're applying for or renewing a Class 2, 3, 4 or 5 licence and haven't presented a medical certificate in the last five years
  • you're applying for or renewing a P, V, I or O endorsement and haven't presented a medical certificate in the last five years
  • you have, or have had in the last five years, a medical condition that could adversely affect your ability to drive. The types of medical condition that may require a medical certificate include:
    • diabetes
    • visual disturbances (e.g. diplopia (double vision) or cataracts)
    • Alzheimer's
    • seizures, fits, convulsions, epilepsy
    • serious injuries (e.g. head or spinal injuries)
    • high blood pressure
    • amputations
    • mental illness or nervous disorders
    • locomotive joint or limb problems
    • stroke
    • cerebral vascular accidents/disease
    • cognitive impairment
    • any other condition that may affect your ability to drive safely


  • If you're a driver renewing a commercial licence, you need to provide a medical certificate when you renew your licence classes. A medical certificate may not be required, however, if one has been supplied to the NZ Transport Agency within the past five years and any medical condition you may have has not worsened, or any new condition been diagnosed. The requirement to provide a medical certificate when you renew a commercial licence is a road safety measure that recognises the accident risks associated with driving for extended periods and/or driving heavy vehicles. It also recognises that the public have a right to expect that drivers to whom they entrust their safety (e.g. taxi drivers) are proven medically fit.
  • A medical certificate must be completed by a New Zealand registered medical practitioner and it must not be more than 60 days old. The medical practitioner can be your usual doctor (GP), or if appropriate, a specialist or coccupational therapist.
  • The medical certificate must state that you're fit to drive safely or indicate conditions that will enable you to drive safely.

Change of address

You can update your address details online with the NZTA – this will update your driver licence details and motor vehicle details.

If you would like to contact the NZTA regarding any issues surrounding Driver Licensing please call them on 0800 822 422.

Practical Driver Testing

VTNZ has been chosen as the preferred supplier by the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) to take over all practical driver testing from 1 May 2015.

With over 80 stations nationwide, we carry out vehicle safety inspections (Warrants of Fitness and Certificates of Fitness), as well as a host of other services for New Zealand road users.  Driver Testing is another service we will be able to offer our customers to help positively influence safety on New Zealand's roads.

When is VTNZ taking over driver testing?

Our contract with the NZTA will start on 1 May, 2015. Between now and then, we’ll be working closely with the NZTA to ensure the practical drivers test has the integrity and consistency it needs. Where we hope to make some real change is the overall customer experience.

Who is providing driver testing in the meantime?

The current system won’t change until May this year – until then the current provider will continue to administer the practical driving tests. People wanting to apply for or renew a driver’s licence – or sit a theory test – can still do so at 26 of VTNZ’s 81 stations nationwide. You can find a list of stations that provide these services here.

When VTNZ takes over, will we still be able to get driver tests in all the same places? 

Yes. We’re going to be providing testing in all the same places that the current provider does. You can apply for or renew a driver’s license – or sit a theory test – at 26 of our 81 stations as well as a number of other places. The NZTA website has a complete list. From 1 May 2015, those places will refer you to us to sit your practical test.

What is VTNZ going to do differently?

The skills required of drivers sitting their practical test won’t change, but we want to improve the overall customer experience. Getting a driver’s license is an important rite of passage for many Kiwis – unfortunately for some it can be complicated, confusing and scary. We’ll be working closely with the NZTA to maintain the integrity and consistency of the test. Where people will notice a difference is the consistency and quality as we bring VTNZ’s strong customer service focus to the process.